Friday, November 21, 2008

Pop Culture Sites: A Ranking

So since I am attempting to try my hand at blogging I decided to rank my favorite sites aka the URLs I reload approx. 10 times an hour. Criteria are as follows: reload reward (frequency of new postings), stuff or fluff (pure guilty pleasure or actually informative), ESP (how in sync with my own musings) and variety (scope of postings).

1) Popwatch
popwatch.ew.com
The site that popped my blogging cherry has continued to flourish over the past few years. The go-to place for all entertainment news including TV recaps, exclusive interviews, and clever comment-provoking entries.
a. reload reward: moderate (although has improved)
b. stuff or fluff: stuff - a pop culture junkie's drug den of euphoria
c. ESP: uncanny - I can't list the number of times a poster has echoed my exact sentiments (example: Michael Slezak's rant against those creep Charmin bears)
d. variety: diverse - TV, film, celebrity relationships, sports, politics, etc etc etc

2) Perez Hilton
perezhilton.com
I was apprehensive about this messy-looking site a few years back but now I proudly proclaim myself an addict. Once I got over those bizarre white scribbles I was hooked on Perez's take on the celebrity world. Plus, the site has become a reliable source of breaking news (see the death of Castro).
a. reload reward: highest - new content minutely and updates even on weekends
b. stuff or fluff: mix - up the skirt 'razzi shots regularly follow political updates and layoff reports
c. ESP: so-so
d. variety: surprising - Perez uses his power for good and sneaks in posts about any and all news-worthy topic

3) NY Magazine Blogs (Daily Intel, The Vulture, The Cut)
nymag.com/daily
New York Magazine's website has three of my favorites blogs that take on pop culture in a clever, at times esoteric manner. Topics are sometimes a little too niche (translation: you'll only get them if you live in the tri-state area) but still the razor-sharp wit of the bloggers is not to be missed.
a. reload reward: high - mostly due to the fact I enjoy three of the magazine's blogs
b. stuff or fluff: stuff - Daily Intel is current-events centered, The Vulture pop culture and The Cut fashion-obsessed
c. ESP: high - now that I'm a New Yorker I finally get the inside jokes intended for Gothamites, also weekly reviews of Gossip Girl are to-die-for as they point out the numerous accuracies and fallacies of the show we all think to ourselves each Monday night
d. variety: excellent (again, 3 blogs)

4) Go Fug Yourself
gofugyourself.celebuzz.com
My favorite fashion blog is composed of pictures of celebrities in their wackiest ensembles and comments on these atrocities. Occasional "Well Played" entries celebrate fashion successes.
a. reload reward: low - my biggest problem with the site, days go by with no new material
b. stuff or fluff: fluff - fashion critique at its bitchiest
c. ESP: right on, especially when they tackle TV fashion blunders
d. variety: none - it's all fashion, all the time

5) Television Without Pity
televisionwithoutpity.com
The preeminent source of TV recaps their tagline is "Spare the Snark, Spoil the Networks." If you love to over-analyze and ruminate for hours on a show this is the place to be. They cover everything from the critically acclaimed (Mad Men) to the embarrassingly addictive (Real World Road Rules Challenge).
a. reload reward: moderate - recaps are updated frequently but much of the content is new on a weekly basis
b. stuff or fluff: mix - recaps are episode reviews sprinkled with criticism and witticism
c. ESP: right on - reading entries on my TV obsessions is like dissecting the shows with my other half, also forums allow you to connect with other addicts
d. variety: low - has branched out to include film but TV content is still the best

No comments: